Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Organize for Success!


In case you haven't figured it out from my previous posts on the perils of being a senior, I'm quite preoccupied with the future. 

I'm constantly thinking ahead and trying to figure out what my life is going to be like after graduation. Sometimes, this is really exciting and motivational, but other times I'm filled with panic at the very thought.

I could use one of these buttons.
Source
Thankfully, I've come to learn that I shouldn't give in to my initial panicky thoughts. In general, things have a way of working out in life. Better yet, I have many opportunities to prepare myself so that I'm better suited for success. Preparation is especially important for me now, since I've started on my law school applications. If I don't take the proper steps to prepare myself, the whole process will be a lot more stressful than it needs to be.

In the past few weeks, the importance of organization has been a key theme. Part of being prepared is being organized. It's a lot easier said than done, but if you put in the effort you'll find that good organization takes a lot of excess stress off your shoulders.

I actually get really excited about organization. That probably says something about me.
Source
HOW TO ORGANIZE YOUR POST-GRAD PREP
  • Make a list of all the jobs/internships/grad schools you want to apply to
    • This step is an important starting point. When applying to schools or for a job, you probably have more than one place in mind.  And, it's not uncommon that as a senior, you may be applying simultaneously for jobs and grad school, or for jobs and post-grad internships.  All the more reason to keep track!
    • You might think that you just "know" all the places you'll apply to, but keeping them all in your brain and not on paper is a great way to forget things. Trust me.
    • Also, having a list will give you a solid foundation to add to or take from. Don't underestimate the power of lists!
  • Check deadlines ASAP and note them
    • Once you have your initial list, begin by finding out the deadlines for every application. Don't assume that they'll all be due around the same time - better to be safe than to miss a deadline.
  • Break it down
    • The application process, especially for graduate schools, is lengthy. There are a lot of steps involved. It's easy to become overwhelmed by all the things you need to get done, so it's important to break it down.
    • Take the application process and turn it into a bunch of small steps. That way you can check off each individual step as you go, which in itself is super rewarding. 
    • Here are some steps from my breakdown of law school applications:
      • Ask for recommendation letters
      • Write a personal statement
      • Request transcript
      • Take LSAT
  • Excel sheets are your friend
    • One of the biggest epiphanies I've had this semester is that Excel is actually a really useful program! I shouldn't have shunned it as something meant for people who like math.
    • With Excel, you can make a spreadsheet listing all the places you want to apply to, as well as different factors you want to consider.
    • This is a fantastic method if you're trying to choose between jobs/schools. You can compare your options on things like location, tuition/salary, and benefits, all in one place.
  • Take advantage of the services available to you
It's that easy! No cheating necessary.
Source
With those tips in mind, you can make yourself so organized that people might actually think you have your entire life together! Little do they know...

Signing off,

Kelly Vieira
Class of 2015