Thursday, September 12, 2013

Hello from one of your new Student Ambassadors!

The Tufts Career Center is excited to welcome two students to the Career Services Ambassadors team. In addition to writing articles for this blog, our Ambassadors will also be helping to create content for and manage our social media outlets. Read their posts, and stay up to date on the latest Career Center happenings by following @TuftsCareer and liking us on Facebook! And now, a welcome back posts from one of our new Ambassadors, Morgan Kee.

Hi Tufts!

I'm Morgan, and I'll be one of the two Student Ambassadors keeping you connected to the Career Center through Facebook, Twitter, and this blog. I'll be recapping career-related events on campus, profiling notable students and alumni, and blogging about miscellaneous other career-related news and tips.

Here’s little about me, so you understand where I'm coming from: like a lot of Tufts students, I started out as an International Relations major. Sophomore year I decided to double major in IR and Sociology, but at this point I'm solely a Soc major. Dropping IR was a tough decision, especially since I'm only 3 credits away from finishing the major, but I felt that sociology and my newly added Communications and Media Studies minor would be more useful for me after college.

Earlier in my time at Tufts, I was really worried about finding a job considering that my liberal arts major seemingly came with no specific skill set, just vague, impossible-to-prove abilities like "analysis" and "critical thinking." But after four internships, I’m pretty sure I've sorted it out. After graduation, I’m hoping to apply the skills and knowledge I've learned from sociology and CMS towards a career in marketing. I've interned at two nonprofits (when I was still interested in nonprofit work as part of IR) and this past summer I worked at a small marketing agency. My work in the Career Center will be my fourth marketing internship.

I'm glad I can help spread the word about all the great stuff coming from the Career Center, because I think many students simply aren't aware of the resources available to them. And I'm excited to investigate and report for the blog on all kinds of things. Let me know if you have any questions or ideas for blog posts - this blog is for you!

You can email me or tweet @morgan_kee, where I post a lot of articles about social media, branding, technology, and startups.