Friday, May 15, 2015

A Letter to the Class of 2015

Dear Class of 2015,

We made it. After a few trips on the Struggle Bus, we've finally arrived at the end of our senior year at Tufts University. If you're like me, you probably thought everyone was exaggerating when they said it would go by so quickly. Looks like they were right to warn us. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'm a bit taken aback that this experience is almost over. Submitting my last exam was quite surreal... Now that Commencement is so close the sentimental feelings have quickly escalated.

Even as a writer, it's hard to find the words to describe what I'm feeling right now. Sadness? Fear? Excitement? Relief? Pride? A bit of each, probably. I can say that these past four years have been an important era in my life. They probably have been for you as well. Looking back, I'm sure you can't even count the ways you've changed and grown as a person. I hope that you can be proud in knowing that you have transformed into a better version of yourself, who is stronger and wiser than you have ever been. You deserve to feel accomplished.

"But I don't have a job yet, Kelly!!!", a purely hypothetical example of a panicked senior might exclaim in response.

They look exactly like this.
Source

First of all, hypothetical panicked senior, I want you to relax. Take a long, deep breath, okay? Everything will be alright. Not having a job by graduation is not the end of the world. In today's job market, finding a job at the drop of a hat isn't the easiest thing. Sometimes it's a matter of applying to the right job at the right time, and luck might play at least a small part. Your friends who do have jobs already are not somehow better than you, trust me. Don't feel like you're failing at some contest to see who can become employed first. You've already succeeded in so many other aspects at life! The diploma you're about to receive is proof.

Finding a job can be very stressful, but I encourage you to stay hopeful and continue your job search. Keep in mind that you never have to do it alone! The Career Center is here to help even after you graduate.

If this is you in a couple of months, the Career Center will not judge.
Source
Since this blog's foundation has been to share experiences and pass on advice, I will leave you with some bits of wisdom that I've managed to acquire over the past four years. Hopefully you can relate somehow. We'll start off with the biggest lesson I've learned in college. Time to get a little personal (not like I haven't already gone into TMI territory with this blog, let's be honest).

Before my junior year, I was doing a really bad job at treating myself with the same kindness I afford other people. I was --  and truthfully, still am -- my own biggest critic. I just didn't feel as successful as all the people around me. I fell into this deadly trap of constantly comparing myself, only to fall short of the ever-elusive perfection I sought. It took me a very long time to realize that perfection is not a destination that any person has ever arrived to. I learned, through a lot of struggle and reflection, that what I needed to focus on was steady improvement -- and not perfection.

I know from talking to peers that this challenge is one that many college/Tufts students face. Maybe you still feel this way from time to time, even as graduation looms. I definitely don't have a quick solution, as it's still a work in progress for me, but I believe that taking small steps can lead to big changes. I've become who I am now thanks to the little experiences I've had each day.

I'm choosing to look back at college as one really long transformation sequence.
Source (s/o to Sailor Moon fans)
Nowadays, I've dedicated myself to being my own biggest cheerleader. It's something that you can do, too! After all, you are the one who will always be there for yourself. Especially in this time of great change, it's important to value who you are. You've come such a long way since you arrived on campus. You are not who you were freshman year, and that's more than okay.

I also advise you all to take some time to reflect on these past four years. I know it's probably felt like an overwhelming whirlwind, but allow yourself to step back and re-examine. Beyond the loads of knowledge from the classroom, I'm sure that you've acquired skills that will stick with you for the rest of your life. Nurture those skills, and know that learning new things is not something that will end once you're handed a diploma.

Something that also won't end after graduation? Friendships. Sure, you might be moving away from a lot of the friends you've made here, but it's not like they'll disappear off the face of the Earth. We live in an age where you can talk to anyone at the tap of a button. Take advantage of that fact. We're digital natives after all, we shouldn't take our savvyness for granted. Keep those friendships alive, as I'm sure they've been meaningful. Skype dates galore!

Finally, I want to sincerely thank you all for reading my posts and joining me on the adventure that has been senior year at Tufts. I've learned a lot in terms of career development, but I've also improved in so many other ways.  Each day I try to become a little better than I was the day before, and I encourage you all to try and do the same. <3

Now, go and celebrate! We all deserve it.

Source
Signing off (and into post-grad life),

Kelly F. Vieira
Class of 2015

P.S. If you find yourself now invested in my life story (who knows), you can keep up with me on Twitter @Kelly_F_Vieira. Hopefully I'll remember to use it.