Monday, February 11, 2013

Internship Grant Recipient Internship Grant Recipient Profile: Elliott Davis A13

by Angela Sun

It would have been your dream internship, if only it paid! No problem! Apply for the Tufts Career Center Summer Internship Grant! A total of 40 grants will be awarded this year, at a value of $3500 each. Grants will be awarded in the categories of Non-Profit/ Public Sector, AS&E Diversity, Entrepreneurial Leadership, and Innovation in Science & Technology. To help you prepare for your application due March 29, we will be presenting a three-part series featuring last year's internship grant recipients.

Meet Elliott Davis, a Political Science major and Communications minor from the class of 2013. Last year, Elliott was awarded a Non-Profit/ Public Sector grant to work at the Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General.

1. Tell me about your internship at the Office of the Attorney General. 

I worked at the Press Office of the Attorney General,  working with the Director of Communications Brad Puffer, a tufts alum, as well as with the Press Secretary, Deputy of Secretary, and so on. I drafted press releases, wrote a couple of them on my own, edited some, prepared a press conference, observed trials, helped develop their office newsletter, and drafted some quick statements. Towards the end of the internship, I got the opportunity to answer the phone more and more. I was working right around the State House in Park Street; that was a really vibrant place to be, and an extra highlight of my experience. 

2. How did you secure your internship?

I found out about the opportunity through networking. As a Communications minor, I am acquainted with one of the faculty there, Susan Eisenhauer, and she mentioned to me just before I went to study abroad in Madrid that the Office of the Attorney General was thinking of starting an internship program, and that it could be a great fit for me. I was really excited so she put me in touch with Mr. Puffer. I did a phone interview right before going abroad to Madrid, that went really well, and I received an email a few weeks later saying I had gotten the internship.

3. How did you apply for the Tufts Grant? What do you think made for your successful application?

Because the internship was unpaid, I was really anxious about being able to receive a grant or stipend over the summer. That way I would be able to work full-time at the office without worrying about picking up a second job. I communicated my reasons for applying for the grant clearly. In addition, I especially emphasized why the internship would be such a good fit for me. It brought together my interests in media, politics, and law. I have interned at the New England Sports Network and winterned at the Boston Globe. This internship would allow me to get insight into another side of media, where instead of working as a reporter, I got to work with reporters. Also, being in Boston would allow me to stay in my off-campus house, and have some friends around. Plus, I would get to work with a cool alum like Brad!

I put in my application late march, and got word in April that I had been selected.

4. What have you gained from the overall experience?

I didn't expect the the office to be so fast-paced. I was constantly running around, drafting quick statements, press releases, trying to frame stories so that reporters would wouldn't write anything negative. I learned so much from being in the office, gaining insight into the inner workings of a press office, but also from making mistakes here and there. I got some great writing samples, but most of all, got to develop a relationship with the people I worked with. The Press Secretary also became a great mentor of mine; Martha Coakley worked just down the hall and she remembered my name. In fact, I am now exploring a career in public affairs, potentially as a press secretary some day. Journalism, however, is still an option, as I greatly enjoyed the opportunities to interview people for articles. This internship was by far the best internship I've ever had though. 

5. Do you have any advice for students applying for the grant/ starting internships?

In terms of the grant, I would say learn as much as you can from people about what is expected in the application, apply early, and stay in direct communication with your future supervisor throughout. In terms of internships, I always say the golden rule is to make your bosses life easier, get there early, leave late, and put in the hours. It's important for you to get something out of the experience, but remember that showing your dedication and the ways in which you can be an asset will be invaluable in the long-run.

The application for the internship grant can be found here.