Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Kathy and Career Services - Figuring Out the Future: Part I

In the fall of my sophomore year, I was beginning to feel quite overwhelmed about choosing a major. Although the deadline was not until the spring, there was still a lot of pressure to decide.

I had never been certain about my plan of study. Ever since high school, I had been confused about what course of action to take. I had been consistently strong in math and science, so I officially entered into Tufts as an engineer. Within the span of a few weeks, however, I realized that it just was not suited for me, so I quickly switched into liberal arts and declared myself ‘undecided’.

Freshman year was very enjoyable after I made the change to the School of Arts and Sciences. I dabbled in a slew of different areas of study, from sociology to history to psychology. I found an interest in nearly everything I took…which became the problem. By the end of my freshman year, I could not narrow anything down into a conceivable major.

Thus, I turned to Career Services. I vented my frustration to one of my friends in the Jackson Jills about my uncertainty about majors, and she raved about the office. Specifically, she suggested that I call and make an appointment to take an MBTI assessment. With no other ideas to turn to, I did just that.

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is basically a questionnaire designed to assess how one views the world and, consequently, how one makes decisions. The assessment investigates four different components of one’s personality: where attention is focused (extraversion or introversion); the way information is taken in (sensing or intuition); the way decisions are made (thinking or feeling); and the way one deals with the outer world (judging or perceiving). With all possible combinations considered, there are 16 different personality types that one could be. The discovery of one’s personality type is supposed to aid in revealing what sorts of careers that individual would best be suited for.

Stay tuned for my personalized MBTI interpretation with a career advisor…