Tuesday, May 12, 2015

This Is It (Sort of)

I hate to reminisce. Really, I do. I’ve had some great memories, but looking back on them always makes me more sad than anything else. Bittersweet has always tasted just a little too bitter for me.

But, when I sat down to write this, my last post for the academic year, I couldn’t help but click back in time to the first post that I ever wrote for the Career Center. In that post, I wrote about the trials and tribulations that faced me and my fellow 2017-ers, from declaring a major to fighting the sophomore slump. I said that although I thought (for a long time) that I knew what I wanted to do, I was questioning my life plan, and hoped that I’d be able to solidify a career (or at least a career field) by the year’s end. I spoke of the “utter confusion” that young college students must wade through during these dangerous transitional years.



And, for the first time, reminiscing made me so, so happy. I thought back to who I was last September, and who I am now, and I am so proud of the progress I’ve made. I (finally) declared my major; I did some serious soul-searching, and came out the other side a much more self-assessed person; and I have a *very* tentative idea of what I want to do for a career.

I was fortunate enough to cover a lot of ground with my posts this year. I was able to attend and write about the Etiquette Lunch, the Fall Career Fair, the Spring SciTech Fair, the Sophomore Career Seminar, and more. I reviewed some common resources the Career Center offers, like tips on writing a resume, tools for finding internships and volunteer experiences, and suggestions for navigating the application process. Through it all, my career (and personal) journey was a common theme, from my posts about declaring a major, the sophomore slump, and the quarter-life crisis. And, with the Career Center’s help, I’ve made some pretty big discoveries and decisions. I've learned that although I can be introverted, I want to work with people and make a difference. I’ve learned about all the possible career fields that are available to me, and since choosing the health field, I’ve discovered the near-infinite ways I can enter it. I’ve developed my written communication skills and ability to work independently and in a team. But most of all, working for the Career Center has allowed me to utilize my passions and skills in a job that I love and look forward to doing – what more can one want?

The Career Center has helped me immensely with my personal career development. With their guidance, I’ve been able to find some incredible summer opportunities. This summer, I’ll be a clinical research intern at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, working with patients who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis to determine the root cause of their pain. I’ll also be working in an animal behavior research lab here on campus, helping a graduate student with her study on the effects of invasive bee species on local bee populations. For so long, I’ve wondered whether I want to go into human or animal medicine; hopefully, my experiences this summer will shed light on what it really means to work with patients in a clinical setting, and I’ll be able to determine whether it’s the right environment for me. Either way, I am so grateful for these opportunities, and the people at the Career Center – especially my supervisor, Nicole Anderson –  who have not only helped me secure these positions, but have been incredible role models and sources of guidance all year.

Right about now, you might be thinking, "Wow, this kid certainly has a lot to say about himself. But how is this relevant to me or the Career Center?" Well, this is one of those "if he can do it, anyone can" scenarios. I hope that from my experiences with and writings on the Career Center, I have inspired students - especially first-years and sophomores - to seek out the Career Center and all it has to offer. Your future doesn't have to be this big scary idea that you'll worry about once you graduate - with the Career Center, you can come in at any point in your own career development story, and find support, advice, and guidance from a qualified professional. The Career Center shouldn't be a place that you only go to during your senior spring when you're trying to apply for jobs or field offers - you should utilize its resources to the greatest possible extent. And, as my story (the first part of it anyways) proves, if you do, you will not be disappointed.

Well, here we are. The end of my last blog post.



Just kidding! Did you really think the Career Center could shake me that easily? The summer will be fun, but I’ll be back with more TV references than ever next fall, continuing my post as a Career Center Social Media Intern. I’ll also be working even more with the Career Center as a Career Fellow, a new program being launched that will feature students (like me!) helping other students with their personal career development, both through one-on-one meetings and group presentations. So although I may be leaving a me-shaped hole in your hearts for a few months, fear not, readers! I won’t be gone for long, and I’m so incredibly excited to continue this project that has already done so much for me as a budding professional and person. So it’s not a goodbye, but a “see you later”. Good luck to all with your summer plans (whatever they may be), and I’ll see you soon.

Until next time (and there will be one),
Sean Boyden
Class of 2017