Monday, January 26, 2015

The Beginning of the End


Hello fine readers!

Welcome back to Tufts. I hope your Spring semester is off to a wonderful start! If you're a second-semester senior like I am, ideally you aren't panicking too much. If you are, at least find some solace in the fact that I'm right there with you. A week in and I'm already stressed. In fact, I honestly started stressing about coming back to Tufts by the mid-point of Spring Break. Sigh.

Sailor Moon knows the struggle.
Source
Panic aside, it's hard for me to believe that this is my last semester at Tufts. Time has gone by more quickly than I ever imagined it would. Honestly, I haven't quite accepted that this amazing era in my life is soon coming to a close. In fear of getting too sentimental, I'll leave my wistful reminiscing for a later post. What I'll say now is that I'm excited to see what Senior Spring has in store for me, even if I'm starting to miss Tufts already.

Get it together, Kelly! It's still January.
Source

As a reintroduction to my blogging adventure, I'll give you all a sneak peek at some of the topics I plan to cover. I'll also go ahead and share a few of the goals (career development and otherwise) that I've made for the next few months. Get excited, tell your friends!

FOLLOW ALONG FOR POSTS ON:

  • Finding gap year opportunities
  • Stress relief tips
  • Dressing for success
  • Excel and organization tips
  • Introversion vs Extroversion + Networking
  • Senior perspectives on the job search
  • Interview do's and don'ts
...and a whole lot more!

Just imagine me doing this the entire semester.
Source

This semester will be the last time I'm in school for a while, so I want to take advantage of the academic environment while I still can. This semester I plan to attend more events that will further my career development. I also hope to make networking connections, keep in regular contact with those connections, and work towards building a solid foundation for my post-grad life.

In addition, I'll be applying to jobs and I (really really) hope that I'll have the opportunity to work for a great organization after I graduate. By May, I at least want to feel like I've taken steps to prepare myself for the so-called "real world" -- if that's even possible.

Perhaps more important than all of that, I aspire to truly live in the moment this semester. The job search can cause a lot of stress, but it's so important to take care of yourself and actually enjoy your time. Don't stress away your last semester ever (or any semester, if you're not a senior!). Be organized and do what you need to do, but don't forget to treat yourself kindly and just relax. You've gone this far. You should be proud -- you deserve it!

Signing off,

Kelly F. Vieira
Class of 2015