Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Alumni Spotlight: Sarah Hagerman, VP at Kaiser Associates

By: Guest Blogger Angela Sun, A’13

Hi again Jumbos!
My name is Angela Sun. I’m a 2013 Tufts graduate currently based in Washington, DC as an Associate Consultant with Kaiser Associates. Having blogged for the Career Center as a Student Ambassador in 2012-2013, it is a real treat to be able contribute to the Career Center blog as a guest blogger!

Since moving to Washington, DC, I have always been amazed by the caliber of alums I meet in the city. Today, I bring to you an enlightening interview with an accomplished Jumbo and one of my personal role models, Ms. Sarah Hagerman, Vice President of the Organizational Development practice at Kaiser Associates. Ms. Hagerman was an International Relations/Spanish double major at Tufts and also received her MBA from the Kellogg School of Business at Northwestern University. If you had the fortune of attending the Tufts Consulting Night, then you may have been graced by her wisdom and elegance in person. If not, don’t worry—the Career Center blog brings you all the highlights:
Sarah Hagerman, VP at Kaiser Associates

Who is Kaiser Associates and what does the Organizational Practice entail?
Kaiser Associates is an international strategy consulting firm that serves as a key advisor to Fortune 500 and aspiring companies across industries to help develop and execute business strategy. Within Kaiser, I help lead the Organization Development practice, in which we help organizations and their people-related processes operate more effectively, whether that’s through the design or re-engineering of processes, systems or programs.

How has Tufts prepared you for your career?
The interdisciplinary nature of Tufts’ education and my International Relations major enables me to approach consulting projects from many different perspectives. In solving any business case, I sought to understand factors like history, culture, market dynamics and trends, which provided a more holistic and realistic appreciation of the problem. I also participated in a Tufts Study Abroad program in Spain, which pushed me outside of my comfort zone and prepared me for the uncertainty and pace of change in consulting. I benefited from extracurricular activities at Tufts as well, serving as the president of the Chi Omega sorority, which honed my leadership and teamwork skills.   

How did you decide to pursue Management Consulting and Kaiser Associates?
In my senior year, I was debating between a couple of different paths, from law to consulting. I had interned at the law firm WilmerHale in their Labor and Employment Group the summer before graduation. I recognized that I was interested in work related to people and human capital, but wasn’t sure if law school was necessary. When I was a Peer Advisor in the Career Center senior year, I stumbled across Kaiser Associates when a student had brought in a cover letter and job description for an Associate Consultant opportunity with the firm. Multiple items on the job description appealed to me:  the collaborative work environment, the opportunity to problem solve and be part of a global firm that was still boutique in size.  I applied to the resume drop and have been with Kaiser ever since!

What has made you decide to stay with Kaiser thus far in your career?
Kaiser is a unique place where there are so many development opportunities. Every couple of years, I pause to take a look at where I am.  Am I still learning and on path to my long-term career goals? The answer has continued to be yes. Second, when I had reached a point in my career where I wanted to have more of a graduate-level academic foundation and experience, Kaiser sponsored and supported me in getting my MBA.  The firm’s continuous dedication to investing in its employees has fueled my development and growth.

What is your perspective on pursuing an MBA?
Given that I came from a liberal arts background and Tufts didn’t offer too many foundational courses in business at the time, I wanted to supplement my professional experience with some more structured classroom perspective. I wanted to take classes in Operations, Finance, Organizational Behavior and more, in order to have a set of tools to ground my recommendations. From Kellogg, I ended up receiving the academic grounding I sought, the opportunity to build a network of contacts, and even met my husband, Peter. 

In my case, I went back to school after having worked for four years. It felt like the right amount of time. Having at least a few years of work experience is invaluable. My MBA classmates with significantly less experience weren’t able to contribute as much to cases or had limited clarity regarding what they wanted to do down the road with their MBA.  My advice is to go to business school only when you have a clear vision of what to get out of it, and plan ahead! The application can be time-consuming, so taking the GMAT, researching schools, and preparing essays in advance will help avoid crunch time later down the line.

Beyond the MBA, what advice do you have for actively managing one’s career?   
I attribute a lot of my success in my career at Kaiser to building strong relationships with my colleagues and seeking out project work and experiences that align with my interests and strengths. I took an Industrial Organizational Psychology class at Tufts during my senior year and loved it, so when the opportunity presented itself for me to work on Organization Development consulting projects at Kaiser, I jumped at it. In terms of actively managing one's career, my advice is to take some time to reflect every 6 months or so on whether you are still learning, growing, and developing in your current role—and if the answer isn't yes, then identify a couple of ways to supplement your professional growth and development (e.g., via formal or informal mentoring relationships, attending training / conferences, etc.)

As an accomplished woman in business, do you have any advice in particular for young women aspiring to work in consulting?   
My advice for women aspiring to be consultants is to be confident in yourself and the perspective that you can bring to the table. Early in my career, particularly when I was consulting with clients in the Aerospace & Defense and Telecom industries, it wasn't unusual to find myself as the only woman in a conference room full of male colleagues and clients with many more years of experience. Having confidence in my knowledge base and capabilities, as well as recognizing the value that I could contribute to the discussion, helped me in asserting my point of view and garnering the respect of everyone in the room. I would also recommend seeking out informal mentors and formal sponsors, both internal and external to your organization, who can advise you and advocate for you as you navigate through your career.  

With the impending Summer Associates application season, could you share a little bit about the program or give suggestions on applying?  
Kaiser's Summer Associate program is a great way for rising seniors to experience what it is like to be a consultant at Kaiser. We give our Summer Associates the same level of responsibility as we do our full-time Analysts / Associate Consultants and try to give them exposure to at least a couple different types of typical Kaiser consulting projects during their summer with us.   

This is a really exciting time for Kaiser. We have a great base of clients, and firm resources, processes, and methodologies codified around the years targeted for the type of clients we work with. Kaiser’s recently revealed 2020 Strategy features a more global focus, with the integration of our London and DC office as an example. As our firm continues to grow, our work is becoming increasingly diversified, perfect for candidates who want to explore consulting, try different projects and develop a portfolio of skills. Compared to similar firms, Kaiser is highly competitive in the types of opportunities and responsibilities it reserves for its Analysts/ Consultants. Although campus recruiting season for full-time Analysts has concluded this application period, rising seniors interested in a Summer Associate opportunity are welcome to apply by sending their resume to recruiting@kaiserassociates.com after January 2, 2014.


Thanks for reading Jumbos and hope you enjoyed the profile!

Please note Ms. Hagerman welcomes requests for informational interviews at shagerman@kaiserassociates.com.  Likewise, I can be reached at asun@kaiserassociates.com.