Thursday, September 4, 2014

Setting Sail: An Introduction

Hello everyone! My name is Sean Boyden, and I’m one of the Career Center Social Media Interns for the 2014-2015 academic year. I’m a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, and according to Nicole, our supervisor, this makes me the youngest Career Center blogger ever.

I’m excited to be back on campus again (although moving into my 4th floor West triple was not fun, no matter how nice the architecture is). I spent the summer in my hometown of Leominster, Massachusetts, which was recently called the "Most Boring Place in Massachusetts". Hometown pride, right? For the first 2 months of the summer, I interned at a small animal hospital in a neighboring town, where I gained valuable experience and learned a lot about veterinary medicine. I spent the rest of the summer working full-time on a local farm, which, despite my small frame and noodly arms, was a lot of fun.

This year, I hope to be sharing with you my personal experiences as a young college student attempting to find a career and prepare myself for life after graduation. So, I think it’s best to start with a little background on myself. For most of my life, I was certain that I wanted to be a veterinarian, and pursued it avidly through internships (like the one I mentioned above) and extra-curricular activities dating back to middle school. However, since coming to Tufts, my mind has exploded with possibilities. Like many of you, I have dozens of ideas about the perfect career for me. Part of me earnestly wants to pursue veterinary medicine, but some days I wake up wanting to go to (human) medical school. Other days I think I’d make a fantastic history teacher, and sometimes I just want to run back home and work on a farm for the rest of my life.

My aim for my blog posts is to reach out and connect with younger students who, like me, may not have a set idea for their career. Sophomore year is a crucial time to get oneself on a track for the rest of their life—we must choose a major, identify an academic adviser, and seriously search for internships, research opportunities, and other items to add to our resume. No pressure for a 19-year-old, right?

Hopefully I’ll be able to shed some light on the dark and scary world of adulthood, or at the very least, ensure my classmates that they’re not alone in utter confusion. So, here we go! I’m excited to get back to school, work hard, try to overcome my social awkwardness, and maybe even find myself along the way! 

Stay tuned for my weekly blog posts, and good luck to everyone else on the start of another school year!

Until next time,
Sean Boyden
Class of 2017