Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Jumbo Spotlight: Alumna Finds Her Career Calling

I had the chance to chat with Tufts alumna Dana Yoo, an engineer-turned toy-maker-turned teacher whose road to snagging her dream career is nothing short of admirable. After a few years at a Boston engineering company, Dana had an epiphany that teaching, instead, was her career calling. And so, following her tugging gut-feeling, Dana successfully changed routes, proving to us all that it’s never too late to pursue something you love.

How did you develop an interest in engineering? What kind of engineering did you study?
I went to Bronx Science, a high school geared toward math and science. When I applied to colleges, my my math and science scores were higher than my English scores. It just made sense to apply to engineering schools.

At Tufts, I started out with civil engineering because I thought I wanted to do architecture. But since civil engineering limited the scope of other engineering I could do, I decided to change to mechanical. More than drawing buildings and doing construction, I was drawn to a hands-on types of engineering.

How did you spend your summers? Did you land any internships or work experience related to engineering?
I was an intern at Fisher Price my sophomore summer. I designed toys usable for kids and safe by national requirements and laws. I would calculate how far the Sponge Bob toy could jump, for instance. I was definitely
using a lot of physics.

I had wanted to apply to Fisher Price my senior year, but I didn’t end up applying because I wanted to keep exploring Boston. But it was one of the best internships I’ve had in my life. The crazy thing is that when I interned there, I was like, ‘I could see doing this for the rest of my life.’

What kind of teacher do you envision yourself becoming?
I definitely want to teach high school math, hopefully pre-calculus or calculus. I’d also want to be a high school volleyball coach. I’ve played volleyball since 7th grade and I still play in leagues. I just really believe in team settings. I think sports are another venue where students can excel and achieve.

In an ideal world, I would want to be involved in children’s lives. I have so much passion and compassion for kids, and I really believe in students. I am excited to learn because my background is engineering—it has nothing to do with child development. I’m really excited to learn how to become an effective teacher and teach a subject I’m good at and enjoy.

Did you have any prior experience teaching experience? Have you worked with kids before?
I always did online tutoring. I also always kept up with creating SAT books for companies. My junior year I got to work with Center for Engineering Outreach (CEEO), which helps students become aware of engineering education. I got to teach elementary school afterschool programs in Legos and robotics. My senior year, I did an independent study in which I created a classroom curriculum in robotics. I was always kinda like, ‘should I teach, or should I go into engineering?’

What was your experience like at Tufts? Any other classes or subjects that piqued your interest outside of engineering?
Tufts has a very intense engineering program. Mainly math and physics took up my engineering courses. I was very focused on engineering and that environment because you are always working with peers to do problem sets and projects. But I was also able to extend myself. I took sign language for three semesters and film classes. I also took classes in art and calligraphy. I was able to take classes I was interested in and knew I wouldn’t have a chance at again.

Where did you work post-college? What steps did you take to land the job?
I worked at Nuance Employment for the past four years. I had gone to Career Services my senior year. Donna was awesome--she was basically a savior. She helped me get my resume up to par and get active in networking. My manager, who was a Tufts alumnus, actually came into my human factors classroom. For my senior project in that class, I had created an application through which I used dragon software to link messages back with sign language. I used technology to make a concept a real application. When I interviewed with Nuance, I presented my project and they were impressed. They recognized I was up to par with knowledge in technology. Through networking, a decent resume, and several interviews, I landed this job. I got it the day I graduated. Up until May, I didn’t have anything lined up. It was definitely a roller-coaster of emotions.

What was working at Nuance Employment like?
Nuance designs things like IBR systems, cell phones, and cars. What I currently do is form and write applications for these programs. I helped out with Ford Sync, for example, which is the entertainment system in all cars. I love what I do. It’s a growing technology and I’ve experienced how to grow professionally. Culturally I was shocked about how different how different the corporate world was from internships and college. I grew tremendously from being in a corporate setting and experiencing different cultures and types of people.

What will you miss about the job?
I will miss being caught up with the latest growing technology. I worked with the latest i-Phones and i-Pads. Currently voice recognition devices are growing. I will miss that type of competitive learning environment. I hope that I can still keep up with technology and even bring it into the classroom.

Given you were overall content and inspired in your field, what motivated you to radically change gears and pursue teaching instead?
There was there was always this crazy pull to go back to education. It was something I was always passionate about and good at. Two years ago, I got rejected from Teach for America. That’s when I thought, ‘maybe it’s not the right time yet.’ This past year though, I thought I should pursue my dreams while still young. I couldn’t start right away because money was a big factor. But something kept telling me that everything would be okay. I got into the four schools I applied. It was crazy because I got offered full tuitions. To me, this meant that now was perfect timing; it’s meant to be.

What will your education master's program entail?
I finally got an offer to Boston College with full tuition plus extra scholarship money. I’m quitting Nuance the first week of May, and I start full time school in July. The program at Boston College is 12 months. I also got into its Urban Scholars program, which focuses on teaching in urban settings. I’ve done volunteer work in low income communities. I believe school is the place where student potential is brought to the highest possible.

What most draws you to teaching? What excites you most about your new profession?
Something that excites me is when kids are like, ‘Oh I get it now!’ It’s not always the ones that are studious, but more the ones that feel insecure but act out. Those are the ones that when they get the material and really care, you can see it in their change of attitudes, eyes, and postures. I know that kids are impressionable no matter what stage. I can’t wait for that moment where I’ll be able to connect to a student. I want to be part of giving kids open dreams.

I feel like I was also given unique opportunities as a student. Certain teachers I interacted with when I was younger inspired me to have my head on straight. I attended school everyday of my life, and I am here where I am now because of teachers.

Where do you see yourself 5-10 years down the line?
In the long run, I want to get a PHD in education leadership and become a principal someday. Down the line, I always want to go back to Fisher Price. I’m just taking it year by year. In high school and college, we can set all these goals and plans for your life. But for me, everything didn’t come into fruition until the right timing.

What advice can you give to undergrads/grads who are hesitant about the fields they’re currently in?
Students should definitely seek out career counselors at Tufts and talk to teachers and parents. And definitely network. Networking and talking to people who have gone through this process is extremely helpful and encouraging. And run with your heart. I know its so cliché when people say don’t go for a job because of the money, but after a while you get worn out. My job was intense and on the go, but at the end of the day I felt a sense of dissatisfaction. I feel like there is something else I’m called to do. At the end of the day you have to be happy. You have to just go with your gut feeling and enjoy life.

What advice can you give to undergraduates specifically about choosing a major/professional path?
I think there is a way to connect everything you enjoy to what you want to do. Seek out a career counselor and work on your resume together. Think about your skills, volunteer experiences, and hobbies. The core of who you are won’t change. What you study and what your interests are will inevitably lead to what you’re meant to do. I know there are many things I learned at my office that relate to teaching and leadership. I’m working with 30-40 personalities right now, which entirely relates back to the classroom. Everything you experience you can portray in your next career. Think outside of the box, be creative with life, and run with what you feel is best. And don’t give up and don’t quit and don’t settle.

Interested in talking to inspirational alumni like Dana? Visit the Tufts Alumni Career Network for a database of 8500+ alumni who have volunteered to speak with you!