Monday, January 31, 2011

Student Spotlight - Tufts senior Aaron talks about his successful job search

I’ve had the opportunity to speak with senior Aaron Cannon, who landed a full-time consulting position at Monitor Group following his internship this past summer. Read on for his first-hand perspective on the not-that-scary search process--the steps he took to impressively wheedle his way into a top-notch profession in the field.

1. How did you first develop an interest in consulting?


My sophomore year of college, I decided that I wanted to go into the business world. I started looking at finance and consulting internships--the two fields go hand in hand in a lot of ways. I started reaching out to whoever I could in both of these fields. I quickly realized I would not enjoy finance. The more I talked to contacts about consulting, the more I realized I would love it. I love taking on a “zoomed-out” perspective to solving big problems, a crucial part of the consulting world. I also did research myself and looked at whatever resources I could find online. But narrowing down my interests really came down to talking to people.


2. What steps did you take to assure yourself professional experience in the field?


I used every network I possibly could. I contacted personal networks in consulting, which included family, family friends, and friends’ parents. I also used the Tufts alumni database. I wrote down alumni that worked at a company I cared about, put each name into a spreadsheet, and sent out emails to each contact expressing my interest. I talked to three or four different people [at Monitor] before I even ended up interviewing. The more people you talk to, the more will be your advocates. I talk extensively to two Tufts alumni at the firm, who advocated for me and helped me out however they could. As for the interviews, you just do your best. I prepared a lot for my consulting interview.

3. In what ways did you use Career Services and Tufts resources in your job search?

I’ve been meeting with my career counselor for the last year and a half. Career Services was a great way to get advice and find helpful resources. The alumni database the office provides was an essential part of contacting and establishing networks. I also utilized the office to practice case interviews--distinctive to the consulting field.

4. What was your internship experience at Monitor Group like? What kinds of tasks were you responsible for?


The Monitor internship in particular is a very awesome program. The professionals there really treat you well and are supportive in every way. They are a very connected, tight group of people. As for the work itself, as an intern I worked on a pretty big case study with a total of 15-20 consultants. We took on supporting roles for our managing directors, which felt like we were starting employees. I had the chance to go to higher-level meetings, where I got new insight into consulting ideas, perspectives, and strategies. I even got to travel to Chicago for an internal meeting. You could really tell that they are investing in you.


5. On-the-job, how did you take advantage of the experience? What steps did you take and/or attitude did you have to heighten your chances of getting an offer?


Most of all, it’s important to keep open communication with everyone involved. Always stay excited during your time there; you might be stressed, but don’t let it show. Continue to be happy and supportive. It’s also always important to double-check your work and make sure you’re handing in the best possible product. Never hesitate to ask for feedback--continuously be asking, How can I improve? It’s crucial to be self-aware with what you’re good at and where you might need improvement.


6. What advice do you have for your fellow underclassman currently engaged in the job search process?

1. Talk to as many people as possible.

2. Learn from each person you talk to,
and use what you’ve learned in the next conversation you have. The more you talk to people, the more comfortable you get and the more perspective you develop.

3. Always stay excited when you’re talking to people. Act as if it’s the most important thing in your life. The same goes for interviews. Frame yourself as a whole person, whose past experiences and opportunities have all led to this particular company. Whenever talking to someone in consulting, I made sure to prove three qualities about myself: my ability to collaborate, communicate, and analyze--incredibly important in the consulting world. It’s always important to funnel your skills down into what’s important for success in your field.

Overall, while hard work, I really enjoyed the job search process. You are always interacting with new people. It’s fast and it’s moving.