Monday, November 1, 2010

Ask the Career Counselor: Getting Unstuck

Today's Question: I’m a senior with a unique problem. There are so many things that I’d like to do after I graduate, and I know that I could be happy doing any one of them. It’s so hard to make a decision. I feel stuck.

Answered by: Donna Milmore, Tufts Career Services

I’m not sure whether this will be good news or bad news: your dilemma is not unique. In fact, it’s so common at Tufts that I’d call it a theme that characterizes many of our conversations with seniors. If you prefer to think of yourself as uniquely special in your many and varied interests, this may be disappointing. On the other hand, if you like the comfort of knowing that you’re in good company, please take heart in the knowledge that Tufts students continually cite this challenge as they contemplate what to do after graduation.


First, let’s examine the reasons that led to your myriad interests. When you were in high school, mom and dad encouraged you to pursue many activities. Being ‘well rounded’ has been considered an admissions ticket to a competitive college. Your strategy worked, and you landed at Tufts, where your options included more than 100 student organizations, 70+ academic majors, and a plethora of activities and events continually streaming around you. You got involved, seized leadership opportunities, and most likely moved abroad to study for a semester or two.

The cumulative effect of all these exposures and experiences is indecision about which path to follow after Tufts. “Do I go back to Chile, where I had the most phenomenal time of my life? Should I pursue something that sounds like it fits my major? Or should I get more involved in the advocacy work I’ve been doing in Somerville with immigrant families?”


So, the dilemma seems unique to you, and understandably overwhelming. However, it’s one that is familiar for Career Counselors here at Tufts. In fact, I call this “Immobilization Syndrome” (IS) which simply means that you have so many options that you can’t exercise any of them. You’re stuck. The first step to get unstuck is to speak with a Career Counselor. We won’t tell you what to do, or which path to follow, but we can guide you in examining your interests, skills, and values. We can help you prioritize the various opportunities that beckon you. Ultimately, you will not say ‘no’ to any of your passions; instead, you’ll be coached to answer this question, “Which one shall I pursue first?” And then, because we can’t always count on everything working out in storybook fashion, we generate alternatives, sometimes known as back-up plans.

It’s interesting that my new acronym, IS, is also the present tense of the verb-to-be. Students suffering from IS are immobilized in the present, unable to take a step forward because they’re overwhelmed with options. Make your first step an appointment with Career Services ~ 617.627.3299. We can help.