Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Going to the Spring Career Fair? There's an App for That

Congratulations everyone, Snowpocalypse 2015 continues and you have fared well! We all deserve a huge pat on the back. If you're like me, then I'm sure the past few snow days have been spent finding your new Netflix show, discovering new hit music, or catching up on Scandal. Whether you would like to admit it or not, these snow days have allowed for a chance to breathe. And, having caught my breath,I have good news for my fellow millennials, who are tech connected and pressed for time. The Tufts Career Center is using an app to help students navigate the Spring Career Fairs!  (That's right, there are two career fairs!)

Real time updates ensure you know exactly who is at the fair!

The app is called Tufts Career Fair Plus and is available in the iTunes/App Store as well as Google/Android Store. We don't discriminate based on tech preference! (Did you catch the reference? If you're planning to go the fair, you have no choice but to download it! Remember, the worst thing you can do at the Career Fair is to show up unprepared.

Event Details
The application provides key information about the upcoming 2015 Spring Job and Internship Fair as well as the 2015 Sci-Tech Fair - location and times of the fairs, and real time updates by the Career Center if any changes should occur, such as a last minute cancellation or change in a company's table location. 

Companies
You can search the list of companies attending and check out a summary of the company, the positions they're looking to fill, geographic location, majors preferred, and much more.  You can link directly to the company website - highly important in order to conduct necessary company research in order to assess whether or not you want to check them out at the fair.  And, you can save those companies to your "favorites", so you can come back to their profile when you're at the event.  Before the fair I make sure to review the list of companies. There are approximately 100 companies expected at each fair tomorrow! 

Career Fair Map
My favorite app feature is the career fair map! When I attend a career fair I usually feel slightly nervous about approaching a table, particularly if I've walked by it more than once. Even though I've done my homework before the fair, I can find myself waltzing around, not really knowing which company I should go to next. Basically, I look like a kid lost in a supermarket.( I wonder if recruiters have counted how many times I passed their table, and then comment when I finally approach.) This app ensures that you know exactly where each table is located in Gantcher, so no more aimless wandering. 

Career Fair Advice
I have given some career fair preparation advice in a previous post. However, with this app you don't even need my advice! The app's Career Fair 101 provides simple tips to make the most of the event. If you need last minute advice or a refresher on fair etiquette, you should check out this page! Fair 101 provides tips for how to research the companies at the fair, so you can refresh on their mission statement, what they do, and what's interesting about them. This app can help you come up with an intro about yourself or "elevator pitch." Essentially, this app is perfect for students who get overwhelmed by career fair preparation. Have no fear, this is what the app is for!

Enjoy the Fairs, my friends.  There are plenty of tips care of the new app, and so many opportunities, that's it's hard to make a case for not going.

Carpe Diem,
Nicole Brooks
Class of 2016