Friday, February 13, 2015

Bridging the Gap Year - Finding Opportunities

Happy Friday, readers!

If you remember one of the first posts I made on this blog, you might recall that I had a bit of a crisis last semester. You see, I couldn't quite decide what I'd be doing after graduation. I found myself at a metaphorical crossroad. My first option was to go straight on to law school - a goal I've had for over ten years now. The second option, and the one that gave me the most turmoil, was to take a gap year in order to gain experience.

Why was it such a difficult decision? To condense my earlier post: I had a ton of preconceived notions that made me afraid of taking a gap year. It was thanks to the guidance of mentors and peers that I was able to reconcile my fears. Eventually, I  realized that taking a gap year was actually the best choice I could possibly make. A wise decision, but not an easy one.


How I felt the second I realized that I had to find a job now.
Source
Since then, I've been arduously working to create a solid game plan. I was in a bit of a panic at first, not gonna lie. Until last October, I was positive that my post-grad plans were straightforward. I would apply to law school that fall, hopefully be accepted somewhere in the spring, and start the following September. Compared to my peers who weren't going to grad school, I felt like I had it all together. No stressful job search for me! See you all in 3 years, suckers!

So much for that.

Now that I'm taking time off, I need to find fulfilling one-year employment opportunities. One of the most important things about taking a gap year is that you come away with useful knowledge. Since I do still want to go to law school, I'm looking for opportunities that might grant me some insight that will be helpful in the classroom. Having that experience will also make me a better candidate for getting into law school in the first place.




I fantasize about having this conversation one day. [Source]

The question remains: how exactly do you find these opportunities? I've drawn up a list of great online resources for your viewing pleasure:

Spotlight on Careers - Spotlight on Careers is a wonderful job search resource in general, but there's also a section dedicated specifically to the gap year experience. Spotlight offers tips on how to find opportunities

Careers A-Z - If you know what field(s) you're interested in, I highly suggest taking a look at Careers A-Z. It's essentially a directory that the Career Center put together to make your life easier. When you click on a field (for example, arts) you'll be taken to a list of resources that's been tailored specifically for that field. Definitely a time-saver!

Backdoor Jobs Funky name aside, this website is actually a useful resource for anyone who wants to do something more unconventional with their gap year. If you're the outdoorsy type, Backdoor Jobs offers unique opportunities in places like national parks and farms. This site is great if you want to spend your gap year getting your hands dirty.

Fellowships - Most of these deadlines have passed, so this link might be best for juniors thinking ahead. A fellowship is similar to an internship, but it often includes a stipend via grant. Fellowships are an excellent way to get some first-hand experience in a field you're interested in. Some fellowships even include support for housing.

TIP [Tufts Internship Profiles] In a similar vein, you can look for (hopefully paid) internships that will advance your career development. TIP is a list of internship profiles from Tufts students who have successfully taken part in summer internships. This is a great way get ideas and to see where Tufts students interned.

Career Advisory Network [CAN] - Finally, if you're looking to conduct informational interviews with people in your desired field, Tufts CAN is the place you want to look. This is a network of Tufts alums who willingly volunteered to give advice to fellow Jumbos. So you don't have to awkwardly wonder if they'll even want to talk to you - they wouldn't be in the network if they didn't want to help! So search up some alums and email away.


Hopefully I've given you all a toolbox that will serve you well as you figure out what you'll be doing with your life for the next year. I'll be holding out hope that we will all successfully survive the gap.

Signing off,

Kelly F. Vieira
Class of 2015