Monday, February 9, 2009

Internship Spotlight - Kimberly Kennedy, A09

Kimberly Kennedy, Class of 2009, Majors: History and Political Science
Internship: San Juan Historical Museum, Friday Harbor, WA

The San Juan Historical Museum allows visitors to learn about the history of San Juan Island, archives historical material for the use of researchers, and runs a lecture series on subjects relating to the town and island history. As an intern, Kimberly trained as a museum docent, learned to apply for grants, catalogued historical documents, and assisted in the planning and publicizing museum programming.

Q. How did you find this internship?
A. I emailed the President of the Board of the museum and asked if the museum would be
interested in having an intern over the summer, and it turned out that they actually had
plenty of projects for me to work on.

Q. What did you enjoy most about your internship?
A. My favorite part of the internship was the sense of accomplishment I felt after
finishing projects. For example, I was responsible for digitizing the photograph
archives, which took several weeks, but after I completed it I felt that I had made a
real contribution.

Q. How does this internship relate to your future career goals/plans?
A. This internship showed me that I would enjoy working in a museum someday, although I
would probably choose to work in a larger institution.

Did you know?

Kim was a recipient of a Career Services Summer Internship Grant, a source of funding that allowed her to complete an internship that would have otherwise been unpaid. Interested in getting funding for your summer internship? Check out the Career Services Internship Grant info: http://careers.tufts.edu/students/internships/TCSIG/

0 comments :

Post a Comment